This cake has been one of my family’s favorite for many years. It was originally called a sprite cake, but my brother and I renamed it fairy cake because we had just learned about fairies and sprites in school. So it became lemon fairy cake!
This cake is more like a pound cake with it’s dense texture and light golden edges. It’s perfect for parties, as it’s appearance s it a wonderful wow factor.
Lemon Fairy Cake
For the cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ teaspoon salt
¾ cup Sprite
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 tablespoons(2 sticks) butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon water
- For the cake- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup tube or Bundt pan.
- Whisk the flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the Sprite, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla in a large measuring cup.
- With an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat the butter, shortening, and granulated sugar together until fluffy, about two minute.
- Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture and the Sprite mixture alternately in two batches, beating after each addition until combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a t toothpick comes out clean, about one hour.
- Cool on a rack in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely, at least one hour.
- For the glaze- Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
(This cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days)